Monday, April 16, 2012

3 - The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

I find that my opinion of stories is really contingent on the voice telling the tale. I must admit at first I was put off by the character, simply because the author didn't tell you what Victoria, the main character in this story, really thought of her actions. But that is what ended up making me love this story. I really had to keep reading and interpret who this person was, as nothing was told to you, it was shown and revealed the more you read into the novel.

This was about a girl who pushed away everyone who tried to get close to her, and suffered the social shortcomings of a life without real family support. She was brought up through the foster system and the book basically starts where she has finally turned 18 and will no longer be cared for by the state. She finds herself thrown into the city of San Francisco with no real job skills or any hope to advance herself. Except for flowers.

The story flips back and forth between the present, and the time Victoria spent with her one potential adoptive mother. The novel is very well structured, giving hints about what caused this seemingly perfect adoption from happening, while at the same time revealing more and more about why Victoria became the hardened individual she is. Her only way of communicating is through "The Language of Flowers" So instead of coming out and telling things to people, she will give them flowers. Every flower has is own individual meaning, so where as most people don't get her meaning, those who do are able to see into her personality more. I was genuinely surprised by how much I liked this story. I didn't love everything about the story, and the ending was a little too open for me. But I would definitely recommend this for anyone looking for a different and interesting book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment